So You are New to Florida
Welcome to Highlands County Extension's informational page "So You're New To Florida." This page is designed to answer your questions about living in Florida. If you are a first time visitor, visiting us again or have been visiting us for several years you will learn something new. South Central Florida's climate and ecology are unique. You will learn about some of our local landscaping challenges, insect visitors, citrus, wildlife and things to do.
Learn about Florida from the resources listed below.
- Highlands County - Board of County Commissioners
- FAWN - Florida Automated Weather Network
- Highlands County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- EDIS - Online publications about living in Florida
- Highlands Hammock State Park
- Archbald Biological Station
The Station fosters long-term ecological research on native plants and animals of central Florida scrub and also provides environmental education for K-12 children.
- Cockroaches and Their Management
- Non-Subterranean Termites
- Pantry and Stored Food Pests
- Fire Ants
- How to Buy Pest Control Services
- Citrus Greening and Citrus Tree Planting in Florida
- Bahiagrass for Florida Lawns
- St. Augustine Grass for Florida Lawns
- Ornamental Palms for Central Florida
Your Florida Home